
I liked this picture. I found it on Al Jazeera's homepage this evening, in reference to the current economic state of our nation. I found it relevant, seeing as I am a first time blogger and I am introducing the idea of being a blogger to myself.
Seeing as I am a first time blogger and newly exposed to this foreign online experience, I am learning the "tricks of the trade" as I go along. If I had not enrolled in Communication 361 this semester at Mason, I daresay I would ever would have experienced the "art" of blogging. I find it all somewhat fascinating and mysterious. Of course, I have heard that people "blog", but I always asked myself what the POINT of blogging was. Did people really have time to just logon to the internet to read random people's opinions on various topics? How does one obtain "credibility" within the blogger world? What makes your opinion respected and considered within a blog, can't ANYONE blog? As these questions arose in my mind, I simply shut my mind to the idea of a blog altogether, coming to the conclusion that there was nothing to gain in reading random opinions written by people who were not credible within the topic with which they were discussing. However, after attending a few classes I have realized that blogging can actually serve a PURPOSE. There are endless topics and ideas with which people attribute blogging to. My question regarding credentials was also answered, after seeing a few guest speakers who hold impressive resumes speaking about their blogs. Then I realized that celebrities and TV personalities also have blog accounts! All of this, by the way, I would have been ignorant towards if I had not taken this class. Then I thought to myself that blogging can't be that bad after all!
After my little introduction on being ignorant about blogging and then finally realizing that blogging is actually the complete opposite of what I assumed it to be, here I am, with a blog of my very own. I have decided to dedicate my blog to the invisible aspect of the Palestinian people and how the occupation has affected their lives and the controversy surrounding their situation. Not being a Palestinian, but an avid supporter of the idea of a Free Palestine, I feel that this topic is only appropriate, especially with the election of a new U.S. President and the recent 22 day Israeli attacks on the Palestinians.
Being that it is a cause, which I personally believe in and support, I do not expect others to agree with my opinions or point-of-view. So, I guess that the purpose of my blog is to support my ideas and my opinions, based on current (or past) news articles/stories/statistics, etc., which I may find of interest. I do not expect that all readers of my blog will agree with these ideas, however, since it is a cause in which I am passionate about, I feel that it would best serve my needs as a new blogger and writing in regards to an issue that I believe in.
That being said, here is my first blog link! By the way, this picture was taken from Al Jazeera in reference to the article I am about to link. My favorite part of this picture is the baby :) The picture was taken in Belgium and it shows demonstrators accusing Israel of war crimes. The article was written on Thursday, January 22, 2009 and since it was written by Al Jazeera, it has a viewpoint different than that of an American reporter or news broadcaster. However, the author of the article is Anita Rice, who is a Western reporter. The article addresses potential war crimes and accusations against Israel after the recent attack on the Gaza Strip. The article is called War Crimes Convictions After Gaza?
No comments:
Post a Comment