22 March 2009

Obama Recognizes Norooz



I would like to change the topic of my blog today to address President Obama's speech on Friday. President Obama recognized the holiday Eid Norooz, which marks the New Year or first day of spring, for Iranians. As an Iranian, I celebrated Eid Norooz, as has been a family tradition since I was born. I did not know that President Obama had made this speech until I was watching an Iranian satellite channel on TV Friday evening and saw the replay.

I thought that it was nice that President Obama was recognizing our holiday, and although I recognize the political reasoning and motives behind it, I still appreciate it. I do not believe that a president of the United States has ever recognized our new year or any special event we celebrate. It was nice to see us be recognized for something other than terror, although I understand that he was sending a message to the Iranian government asking them to stop threatening terror.

Anyway, either way, I thought it should be mentioned. Especially as I was talking to someone yesterday and I mentioned that Friday was a holiday for me and they said, "Oh yeah! I know about that, President Obama was talking about it!" I'm sure if it hadn't been for that, she would have never known.

No comments:

Post a Comment